Senior Beverage Scientist - Powders
Imbibe is seeking a Senior Beverage Scientist with 7-10 years of experience developing food and/or beverage products to join our Product Development team. This position emphasizes full product development, as well as flavor application efforts across a wide variety of beverage forms with a strong emphasis on powders. Shelf-life execution and overall program management will also be a focus, especially in regard to powders. The ideal candidate will be a positive, energetic team player and hands-on person with a passion for working on the bench to develop innovative products.
- Collaborate with Product Development Scientists, Flavor Chemists and other R&D teammates to design best in class product formulations that exceed the expectations of our customers
- Create and execute studies to evaluate shelf life of products, based on results, recommend shelf life for products, or execute further studies to determine root cause of the failure
- Refine and manage the shelf-life program to efficiently and accurately deliver results based on customer shelf-life needs as well as internal learning and development
- Act as the powder science Subject Matter Expert (SME) on staff and provide input as either a lead or consultant on projects from ideation to commercialization
- Design formulations and manufacturing instructions that result in products that meet the specific organoleptic, stability, nutritional and regulatory demands of our customers
- Stay abreast of industry trends and new ingredients & technologies and leverage that knowledge to develop ingredient systems enabling improved innovation offerings
- Use strong working knowledge of ingredient functionality and product development best practices to create great tasting, safe and stable powdered beverage products
- Ability to lead a team of other technical teammates dedicated to the same project in order to meet customer expectations and deadlines
- Design formulations for customer demonstrations that emphasize current trends and new ingredient technologies
Qualification and Requirements:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Food or Chemical Engineering or related field
- 7-10 years of food and/or beverage industry experience
- Experience in the development and launch of beverage products beyond simple prototype development. Must understand the impact of plant processing on beverages and be able to design formulations accordingly
- Subject matter expert on powdered beverage formulation and shelf-life; must be well versed in powder science and how to develop and execute complex powdered formulations from development to commercialization
- A strong teammate willing to work together on the bench with other R&D scientists to design optimal beverage & flavor formulations
- Apt at synthesizing scientific principles and large data sets into easy-to-understand language.
- Self-motivated with the ability to lead projects and programs with minimal guidance from leadership
- Ability to adapt to the changing needs of the lab
- Deep knowledge of powdered ingredients including (but not limited to) potential uses, stability considerations and dosing information.
- Comfortable potentially managing 1-2 junior associates and acting as a consultant on projects lead by junior associates
- Strong communication skills. Must have the ability to confidently communicate complex technical information to customers as well as colleagues
- Must be comfortable with a high amount of customer-facing engagement, especially when communicating scientific concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to successfully handle high project load in a fast-paced environment with quickly changing priorities