Taste Modulation Scientist
Taste Modulation Scientist – Niles, IL
Title: Taste Modulation Scientist
Location: Niles, IL
Reports to: Manager Taste Modulation and Ingredient Innovation
Imbibe is seeking an enthusiastic and curious Taste Modulation Associate Scientist to join our Taste Modulation and Ingredient Innovation Team. This position will support the team’s efforts to accomplish several different development tasks associated with new ingredient research, development and base modulation in the sugar reduction, masking, and mouthfeel space. The ideal candidate will be a positive, energetic team player with a passion for learning about a wide variety of food and beverage ingredients and product types. There will be strong collaboration with other Taste Modulation team members, Flavorists, and Product Developers, so this person will work well in a team environment, contribute ideas and hands-on assistance, as well as display an equal interest in product development and research.
- Must work independently and balance a multi-task workload.
- Work with other internal team members including project managers, sales, pricing, engineering, procurement, quality, operations, and marketing for successful project completion.
- Identify and evaluate new ingredients, technologies, and applications that will provide innovative solutions to customers and internal developers.
- Formulate complex natural sweetener systems, masking systems, and mouthfeel systems for custom projects.
- Formulate and develop both standard and innovative beverage products to demonstrate Imbibe’s Taste Modulation ingredients.
- Develop beverage formulas of moderate to advanced complexity, including ready to mix, ready to drink, and syrups, as assigned.
- Work with Product Developers and Flavorists to develop customer samples for evaluation (alternative-dairy products, coffees/teas, functional beverages, protein drinks, non-beverage, etc.). Adjust formulas as needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Identify and test products for stability and shelf life.
- Formulate to a specified cost target to meet the customer success criteria.
- Coordinate and manage resources to meet project timelines and other success criteria.
- Participate in internal initiatives that showcase Taste Modulation innovations.
- Execute proactive innovation and optimization projects.
- Interacts with external customers as part of core team.
Qualification and Requirements:
- BS in Food Science/Food Technology, chemistry or related technical area.
- 3 to 6 years of experience in the beverage and/or flavor industry with a background in product development or applications.
- Understanding of how to set up and execute an experiment.
- Ability to taste and describe organoleptic properties of a beverage/food product.
- Able to work cross functionally.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, experience with direct reports.
- Strong organizational, documentation, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Strong interest in learning new areas.
- Ability to work independently with little direction and as part of a team.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- A working knowledge of appropriate computer software applications is required. Proficiency with MS Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Should have knowledge of pertinent beverage processes, flavor and ingredient regulatory guidelines, and sensory testing.
- Experience in sugar reduction, natural high intensity sweeteners, FMPs, and/or masking a plus.
Imbibe is the leading innovator in the beverage industry – we set the standard! Our clients benefit from our holistic approach to product development where we engineer every beverage from the bottom up. We design custom components, such as ingredient blends, flavors and finished beverages for every project. Imbibe combines a powerful synergy of innovation, technical expertise and dedication to ensure our clients never settle for anything but the best. To learn more about us, check out our website at www.imbibeinc.com.
Want to be a part of a growing team?
Good idea. Here are some of the top reasons to work with Imbibe:
Full Time Healthcare
You are eligible for healthcare packages after 30 days of employment. All healthcare plans are Affordable Care Act compliant, and we have several plans to meet a variety of needs!
Simply put, we are beverage experts. Our industry focus gives us a greater degree of insight into the beverage and flavor world!
We have a 40,000 sq. ft. facility that houses state of the art equipment, labs and a pilot plant.
At Imbibe, in addition to your job, you’ll have opportunities to step away and challenge a coworker to a game of ping pong, or visit at the custom beverage bar. People should like where they work, and we strive to provide an environment that fosters playfulness, creativity and friendship.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Imbibe is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, marital status, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. This transmission is intended only for the designated recipient(s), and any duplication or distribution, in any form or part, without the written consent of the sender is strictly prohibited. These confidentiality protections apply even if you received this transmission in error, in which case you should delete the message, disregard its contents and notify the sender of the mistake.